Major Life Lessons I Learned in 2018 and Looking into 2019
Isn’t it crazy how fast time flies? I feel like it was my birthday in February last year, I blinked, and it was Thanksgiving. This year had a lot of ups, a lot of growing pains, and was overall pretty awesome. Filled with trips, engagements, LOTS of weddings, adopting a dog, finishing a three year project, mud baths, golf tournaments, the coast, ODESZA, and family time. Here’s a few things that I learned this year:
- Life is WAY too short. I feel like a lot of times I get caught up in the moment whether it’s from being OCD, not able to let things go, or what have you. I hone in on things that don’t matter and forget that I probably won’t remember what it is I am obsessing about seven days from now, so it’s probably not worth it.
- Friendships get harder to maintain as life continues. I used to say “that will never be my friends + I” but weddings, babies, families, new jobs, etc. can take over and friend communication falls to the wayside. It’s a sad truth that I really had to embrace this year. Doesn’t mean they care less, just means there’s a limited amount of time.
- The most valuable thing to me is my time. Money will come and go, but time is something that you can’t buy or get back. Choose who you spend it with wisely.
- Your career should not dictate or impact your self worth. I went through a pretty difficult project completion this year and being around negative energy heavily impacted my mood. I felt like I no matter how hard I worked or successful I was, the project was still failing. I had to realize that I need to believe in myself, my work product and ethic and everything that happens outside of my control is just that: outside of my control. It should never dictate who I am as a person or jeopardize my happiness.
- Life is not an instagram highlight reel. Things get tough, people argue, etc. but you don’t see that on social media. Comparing yourself to another person, couple, family, or friend group on Instagram will always leave you feeling discontent and short handed. Instead, focus on the real relationships in your life and with some TLC, those will turn into the best highlights of your life.
Things I Want to Focus on in 2019
- Patience. I am not the best at being patient and I expect a lot out of the people around me (sometimes too much). I want to be better at active listening, and processing prior to responding or reacting (more response less react LOLZ).
- The year of the outdoors. I told Cam that a majority of the trips we need to take have to be outdoor oriented. I want to spend more time exploring and taking in the beauty of God’s creation in this world.
- Drink. More. Water. I posted a story on instagram the other day about hangover cures, and I’m 99% sure the reason I get them so badly is that I am dehydrated all the time. There are so many benefits to being hydrated! Having good skin is one of them, so this one is a must.
- I can be quite cynical sometimes, so this year I want to really try to look at the glass half full. Giving the benefit of the doubt to someone or a situation can have an influence on your overall happiness since you’re not automatically assuming the worst.
I am looking forward to this year and everything that it has to bring. Cheers to making the best of 2019!